- Christmas Show – FRIENDS of the Gallery SHOW
- Prospects Fearful: Caroline McQuarrie and Shaun Matthews
- Mark Haldane – Solo Exhibition
- Rembrandt Remastered Exhibition : showcases 57 stunning life-size reproductions of Rembrandt’s paintings that have each been digitally remastered to their original condition. The exhibition, which is the first of its kind in Greymouth, will be held across multiple venues in Greymouth. Using the latest techniques and art expert Professor Ernst van de Wetering’s extensive knowledge of the Dutch master, the exhibition works have been digitally restored to look exactly as they did when left Rembrandt’s studio nearly 400 years ago.The images – which include The Nightwatch, The Anatomy Lesson and The Jewish Bride – are presented in their original size and displayed in chronological order with accompanying text telling the story of the works, as well as stories from the painter’s life. Rembrandt’s original paintings are now spread over the world in art galleries and private collections. Some paintings have been damaged or stolen, and so the original mastery is no longer fully accessible to viewers today.
This exhibition gives New Zealanders a remarkable opportunity to experience the world of Rembrandt brought to their doorstep.
Some of the works included in the exhibition include:
– The Nightwatch
– The Anatomy Lesson of Dr Nicolaes Tulp
– Christ in the Storm on the Lake of Galilee
– The Polish Rider
– The Jewish Bride
– The Syndics of the Amsterdam Clothmaker’s Guild
– Some of his best self portraits.
We are located on the left bank of the Grey/Mawhera River, in the heart of Greymouth. The gallery is housed in an historic building built in 1924 – the former Bank of New Zealand. The main gallery displays regular exhibits of contemporary New Zealand paintings, prints, photography, sculpture and crafts, with an emphasis on local content.
Our Box Gallery allows for new, emerging artists a comfy space to exhibit.
The Gallery Shop offers hand crafted work in textiles, jewellery, jade, vintage pendants and carvings along with a fine selection of paintings and prints. The gallery also has a picture framing service available for artists and the general public.
An expanding national collection of Greenstone/Pounamu is a major feature of this gallery, with works from throughout New Zealand, including two large boulders that toured New Zealand to be worked on by nine leading carvers as a New Zealand project. The Pounamu Collection showcases the country’s finest jade works, some selected from the Contemporary Stone Awards.